Vanishing Point - Dub Tech patches and tutorial
A dub techno track I wrote a couple of years back with NI Massive called Vanishing Point.
I will post up the patches , parts (wav) and a tutorial on how to get the sound for this one on the weekend if…
It gets 20 likes…
Edit – i got them!
So here you go…
As promised here is some insight into the synths on this track, Vanishing Point
I’m not going to talk much about the drums, effects or efx – only the bits created in NI Massive. I’ve also included the patches themselves.
Here are the synths isolated
As you can hear there is a load of reverb and delay on them! All of this was achieved within Massive – and then side-chained with the kick drum.
Actually the key to this track was the chords , not the sound!
Here is an early version of the track with a totally different drum beat – much slower… no idea what was going on actually. I think there’s around 6 versions on my hard drive. Actually this one has a much nicer kick drum – i wish i used it instead.[audio:https://www.massivesynth.com/audio/vp_breaks.mp3]
Here are the patches:
VanishingPoint1 – this is the main synth line.
VanishingPoint2 – this is the sucky reversed patch. As you will see it’s a basterdised version of the patch DDroid that ships with Massive.
VanishingPoint3 – this is the other sucky reversed patch. As you will see it’s a basterdised version of the patch DDroid that ships with Massive.
To get the main sound – i set up several return tracks, each with aq separate delay with a different timings – and then all i really did was feed the synths into those delays and automate the amount it was fed.
Personally i use Dubstation as my delay with around a 1/4 or a 1/4. delay time and then i mess around with the regen and the dry/wet.
So to recap – Set up your synth with some nice delay. Set up some returns with various delay times (control how much you send with your midi controller). P_lay a chord (a D or C minor is nice). And tweak… experiment… play around.
Simple as that.
Oh – the congas you hear in the middle of the original track were a mistake. They were not supposed to loop – just be an incidental, but something weird happened to the render i used and for some reason the envelopes weren’t included… if you listen they are a bit loopy and that’s why – they are a loop, but were supposed to be a bit more choppy.
Another thing i did with this track was , i exported it as a wav and imported in several version of the same wav – i eq’d them all into various bands and added some flange and bandpasses to the higher ones, also some auto panning to the top ones in time with the flange – this is what creates that liquid wooshing you hear – all purely experimental and not really included in the track at all.
About 90% of the track i created in my lunch hour one day – that was the chords and the arrangement. The real time was spent messing around with the above – and the congas were added at this point too. So the version i have on my HD is actually nothing like the final track, and I’m not sure where that file is with all the WAVs in – so i guess it’s all lost forever!
To hear the other tracks click here