Live, Music Theory Tutorials
10 ways to add LIFE to your audio samples and synth presets
When it comes to producing music, one thing that is often underestimated is the power of audio samples and synth presets. Not only can they inject some extra life into your tracks, they can also expand your production capabilities and help you create music that you couldn’t have done before. Here we take a look at 10 ways to add LIFE to your audio samples and synth presets.
1. Embrace Unconventional Adjustments: Don’t be afraid to make non-standard adjustments to your sounds. Use a low pass filter to make your sample sound gritty or use delays, reverbs and other effects to create a spacey atmosphere.
2. Layer Up: Mix and match samples and synths to create a big and immersive sound. Combine textures in unexpected ways and use clever panorama techniques to create an improved stereo image.
3. Embrace Varied Dynamics: Don’t be afraid to use programming techniques to vary the dynamics of your sounds over time. This gives your songs more energy and life than having the same level throughout.
4. Vary Sound Sources: Try interchanging different sources for your samples and synths. Use foley sounds and field recordings to add mystery and unorthodox sounds to your music.
5. Automation Rules the Mix: Use automation techniques to add life to your sound. From subtle changes to drastic moves, automation can take your music to an otherwise unattainable level of dynamic movement.
6. Add Movement with Modulation: Use modulation effects to add motion to your samples and synths. From tremolo to chorus, applying modulation to your sound can be a great way to add movement and complexity to your mix.
7. Play with Pitch: Pitch shifting can provide an effective way of bringing new life to your sounds. Use octave shifting to make your sounds sound bigger or try frequency modulation to take your samples and synths to another world.
8. Utilize Unusual Sampling Techniques: Experiment with unconventional sampling techniques, such as time stretching and resampling. These techniques can add lots of energy and drama to your music.
9. Re-edit and Re-combine: To bring spice to your music, try re-editing and re-combining your samples and synths in different ways. It can be a great way to see what previously untried sounds await you.
10. Experiment and Experiment Again: Ultimately,