NAMM 2019: Korg Introduces volca modular & volca drum
Korg has announced, in addition to the Minilogue XD, the expansion of their volca series with two new synthesizers, the volca modular and volca drum, that will be introduced at this year’s NAMM show.
The Korg volca modular consists of 8 modules:
- SOURCE: This consists of a triangle VCO carrier and a modulator. The complex overtones generated by FM modulation are sent through a wave folder circuit to add additional overtones, producing a distinctive sound. This module is important in determining the basic character of the sound of volca modular.
- FUNCTIONS: This section consists of two function (envelope) generators. In addition to an ADH generator with attack, hold, and release, there’s a Rise-Fall generator, also known as a slope generator, which not only applies time-varying change to the sound but also lets you patch the end trigger out back into the trigger in as a loop, making it usable as a VCO or LFO.
- WOGGLE: This is a random signal generator containing a sample & hold circuit that uses pink noise as its source. Two outputs are provided, allowing it to output either stepped or smooth random noise.
- SPLIT: This module distributes one input to two outputs. It can also be used in the reverse direction, combining two control or audio signals into one.
- DUAL LPG: This consists of two low-pass gate circuits. Typical of the West Coast style of synthesis, the module packages a filter with an amp, allowing the brightness and volume of the sound to vary together.
- UTILITY: This is a mixing scaling module that combines two signals in various ways. It can mix not only audio signals but also control signals, as well as inverting or attenuating those signals.
- SPACE OUT: This is a stereo module that applies a reverb-like effect to the audio signal.
- SEQUENCES: This module is for connecting to the internal sequencer. You can set the tempo, and select different rhythm divisions to output via the gate counter.
volca drum Specifications
- Keyboard: Multi touch trigger pads / Step keys
- Type: Digital synthesis
- Maximum Polyphony: 6
- Structure: 6 parts (For each part, 2 oscillators, pitch modulator, and amp EG), waveguide resonator effect.
- Kits: 16 (Settings for 6 parts + Settings for waveguide resonator) Kit No.1 – No.10 are factory preset.
- Program: 16 (Sequence pattern, Motion sequence, Kit No.) Program No.1 – No. 10 are factory preset.
- Number of parts: 6
- Number of steps: 16 (pattern chain is available)
- Number of recording patterns: 16
- Audio Output: Headphones jack (3.5mm stereo mini jack)
- Sync In jack (3.5mm monaural mini jack, Maximum input level: 20V)
- Sync Out jack (3.5mm monaural mini jack, Maximum Output level: 5V)
- MIDI: MIDI IN
Pricing & Availability
The volca drum and volca modular will both be available early 2019 for $169.99 and $199.99 respectively and you can visit the Korg website to learn more. They will be debuted at WNAMM 2019 atthe KORG USA, Inc. booth, Hall B #8802.