This Free Delay Plugin Simulates Vintage Gear
Spaceship Delay is a free delay plugin whose sound is based off of classic gear including the the KORG monotron DELAY, the mini analog ribbon synthesizer that can fit in your pocket. You can hear what this pocket synth sounds like in the video below. It is also inspired by the analog filters found in the vintage KORG MS-20.
Ivan Cohen, the man behind Musical Entropy who designed the plugin, describes the process of developing Spaceship Delay:
[…] I did some digging about all the things that people like in delay plug-ins, and about the associated technology. I worked on a prototype which allows me to use different kinds of delay lines, using various strategies for fractional delay (linear+cubic interpolation, artefact-free implementations of time-varying allpass IIR filters), and delay changes (with or without pitch changes). I tried to put various audio effects in the delay line path, and kept only what sounded the best. I added also extra filters on post processing and a phaser […]
- Three delay modes: single, ping pong and dual / stereo.
- Standard delay effects controls such as the delay time in ms and in time subdivisions, the feedback (up to 110 % !), a tap tempo button etc.
- A modulation section acting on the delay times and the filter cutoff frequencies.
- An attack control allowing the user to feed the delay line only when the input volume is higher than a given threshold.
- A spring reverb modeled from a famous tape machine (not that one, another one).
- An advanced filtering section including standard lowpass and highpass filters, shelf filters, and the simulation of two famous synthesizer filters (not these ones either, other ones).
- A specific “modeling” section giving access to different kind of delay line and saturation colourations, featuring a bitcrusher and a tube preamp simulation.
- A “Freeze” switch which can be used for some creative effect or to transform the effect into a looper with high delay values.
- Post effects such as extra filters, a tremolo and a vintage phaser
Spaceship Delay is available for free in VST, AU and AAX formats (32/64-bits, Windows & Mac OS X) and you can Let us know what you think of the plugin in the comments below!