Strata Is A Next-Generation Control System For Ableton Live
Envision Sound Technologies has introduced Strata, a next-generation control system for Ableton Live 9 & 10. Envision Sound calls Strata a control system, as opposed to a MIDI controller, because it is comprised of two parts: the purpose-designed MIDI controller, and the control surface script which handles MIDI data between the controller and Live- which is where the magic happens.
- No on-board display, but auto-changing of Live’s views to match controls in use, plus selected parameter control along with 8 macro controls.
- 16-pad polyphonic note play, with 8 octave banks, for 128 note access, including use with drum rack.
- Step sequencer planned for development, but not yet included.
- The knobs
- Dedicated Sends controls.
- Dedicated EQ controls, using auto-loading instance of EQ8.
- Dedicated Hi-Lo filter, currently using custom M4L device, planned to be redesigned to use EQ8.
- Dedicated Gain control using auto-loading instance of Utility.
- Dedicated pan control using mixer section.
- Dedicated volume control using mixer section.
- Dedicated range-assignable tempo control, currently using custom M4L device, planned to be redesigned without.
- The pads
- 128 snapshots which capture all parameters of selected tracks, including clip loop brace and play-head start position.
- 128 chain selections.
- Clip Cue-Play, triggering on press, stopping on release.
- Sound Palette: Play 16 tracks as a drum rack.
- Digital-vinyl-style loop length and region control, and slicing, for on-the-fly remixing.
- Key transposition in semitone increments.
- Miscellaneous features
- Dedicated Bus Tracks and Cue Track.
- Pitch-tempo latch.
- Toggleable MIDI note sustain.
- Toggleable option to trigger note C3 while changing snapshots or chains.
- Knob-Pad selection split for independent track selection control of knobs and pads.
- Envelope capturing of all parameters.
Pricing and Availability
Strata, priced at $550, has debuted on Kickstarter and is expected to begin delivery in June 2020. Galen Farrel has compiled a comprehensive set of videos on his YouTube channel that detail how Strata can be used to kickstart your music productions.