Making 'Old Skool' House Music With Classic Roland Machines
In this video from Youtuber Alex Ball, we dive into various sound design techniques for creating old skool house music using classic Roland machines like the Roland TR-808 and TB-303 that stayed relevant well after their initial release.
- Drums: Roland TR-808 (1980)
- Bass: Roland TB-303 (1981)
- Chords: Roland Juno-6 (1982)
- Melody: Roland SH-101 (1982)
- Vocal samples: JJ Jeczalik’s Art Of Sampling Library
- Atmos samples: Loopmasters Warehouse Rave Library
Roland instruments played a large role in the rise of dance music in the 80s and 90s, and this video does a great job in exploring the sound qualities of these machines that made them and continue to make them so popular. You can visit the Alex Ball Youtube channel for more helpful synthesizer tutorials.