Demo Of Mutable Instruments "Plaits" Oscillator Module
In this video from Youtuber mylarmelodies, we get a demonstration of Mutable Instruments’ new Macro Oscillator, Plaits. The module arrives after its predecessor, Braids, each offering direct a large palette of easily tweakable raw sonic material.
The Plaits offers 16 different synthesis models, and you can acquaint yourself with each in the list below.
8 synthesis models for pitched sounds
- Two detuned virtual analog oscillators with continuously variable waveforms.
- Variable slope triangle oscillator processed by a waveshaper and wavefolder.
- 2-operator FM with continuously variable feedback path.
- Two independently controllable formants modulated by a variable shape window (VOSIM, Pulsar, Grainlet, Casio CZ-style resonant filter…).
- 24-harmonic additive oscillator.
- Wavetable oscillator with four banks of 8×8 waves, with or without interpolation.
- Chord generator, with divide down string/organ emulation or wavetables.
- A collection of speech synthesis algorithms (formant filter, SAM, LPC), with phoneme control and formant shifting. Several banks of phonemes or segments of words are available.
8 synthesis models for noise and percussions
- Granular sawtooth or sine oscillator, with variable grain density, duration and frequency randomization.
- Clocked noise processed by a variable shape resonant filter.
- 8 layers of dust/particle noise processed by resonators or all-pass filters.
- Extended Karplus-Strong (aka Rings’ red mode), excited by bursts of white noise or dust noise.
- Modal resonator (aka Rings’ green mode), excited by a mallet or dust noise.
- Analog kick drum emulation (two flavors).
- Analog snare drum emulation (two flavors).
- Analog high-hat emulation (two flavors).
While it is unclear as to how much Plaits is priced at, new shipments of the synth module are expected for June 2018 and you can visit the Mutable Instruments website to learn more.