Vector Phase Shaping Virtual Synth
Creativity shouldn't be complicated. Craft totally unique sounds and finish more songs with Circle². Forget messy submenus, multiple windows, and hidden controls. Create unique sounds with minimal effort.
Synthesis Made Simple
Creativity shouldn’t be complicated. Craft totally unique sounds and finish more songs with Circle².
Circle² is the new major update to Future Audio Workshop’s flagship software synthesizer, Circle. Since its release in 2009, Circle has achieved cult status, becoming a key tool in the arsenal of both seminal underground and pop hitmakers such as Hudson Mohawke, Arca, David Guetta and Deadmau5. The 2015 update incorporates several new features, modules and effects, extending the spectrum of sounds that can be composed. Circle² also features a completely redesigned user interface, providing a forward-thinking interpretation of Circle’s esteemed user-centred design approach.
Usability is at the heart of the design of Circle². With the affordance of the power of modern computer processors, many software synthesizers have become progressively more complex and difficult to use. The aim of Circle is to step aside from this path and to instead focus on placing flow and intuitiveness at the core of the music-making process. Rather than burying a deluge of synthesis parameters in submenus and external windows, Circle² encourages experimentation by presenting parameters in an accessible and intuitive manner.
The unique Circle² interface enables a level of experimentation that would be unachievable via a more typical, convoluted interface; allowing the user to focus on creativity rather than technicalities. This design philosophy sets Circle² apart in the synthesizer landscape and provides the foundation for the development of the next generation. Instead of designing Circle² to graphically replicate its analog predecessors, Future Audio Workshop have been working alongside Berlin-based designer Lars Hammerschmidt to bring Circle² firmly into the 21st century through the use of a contemporary design language that looks more to the future than the past. The goal was to construct an even flatter design with brighter, more distinct colors than was seen in Circle.
Everything In One Window
- Fast and streamlined workflow while sound designing
- Forget messy submenus, multiple windows, and hidden controls
- Create unique sounds with minimal effort
Modulation Made Simple
- Free yourself from the clunky modulation matrix
- Simply drag and drop color-coded circles
- Quickly create dynamic sounds full of motion
VPS: A New Kind Of Synthesis
- Create harmonically rich tones that morph over time
- Great for evolving leads, gritty basses, ethereal pads and contorted sounds
- Only available in Circle²
Based on state-of-the-art digital synthesis research, the brand new VPS (vector phase shaping synthesis) oscillator is one of the most exciting new features of Circle². The new oscillator utilizes a cutting-edge synthesis technique introduced by researchers at the Aalto University School of Electrical Engineering and The National University of Ireland, and further developed for its implementation in Circle² via an academic collaboration with Future Audio Workshop.
The VPS oscillator works by glueing together a pair of sine waves with specified frequencies. Via its two parameters – which control the frequencies of the sine waves and the location at which they are glued – the VPS oscillator provides direct control of the waveform’s intricate harmonics. Experimentation throughout the oscillator development process has led to a range of results; from dirty Reese style bass patches to ethereal pads and gritty lead lines. Modulating the parameters can produce a wide range of effects, either used subtly to give gentle movement, or used harshly to twist and contort a synth into oblivion. We’re excited to hear what synthesis results users can achieve using the new oscillator.
The Sounds You Want When You Want Them
- Quickly browse over 300 patches with our Smart Browser
- Curate a library of your Favorite Patches to access them instantly
- New patch packs from expert sound designers added regularly
Ready To Perform With NKS
- Works with Maschine & Komplete Kontrol
- Meticulously mapped for every patch
- Need a refill? All our patch packs are mapped too!
Fully Re-Written Audio Engine
Circle² provides several enhancements to Circle’s instantly recognizable and critically acclaimed sound engine, helping to ensure that Circle² sounds better than ever before. Furthermore, on top of Circle’s existing modules, Circle² also comes with new Bucket Delay and Tube Distortion effects that bring a vintage flavour to its sounds. This gives Circle² a new total of 15 inbuilt sound modifiers / effects.
Fully Retina Display Ready
Circle²’s interface is fully retina display ready. Brings a vibrancy and clarity that is unseen in other software instruments. An interface for 2015.
Design Sounds Visually
Simply move the color-coded circles around the interface to start creating your own unique sounds. Preview a connection by hovering a circle beneath a knob. Explore sound in an intuitive way.
Redesigned Interface, Improved Workflows
Taking the key concepts of the first version, we have improved the workflow and user experience in Circle². Find the required sounds effortlessly using our new preset browsers.
- 4 x Analog oscillator
- 4 x Wavetable oscillator
- 4 x VPS oscillator
- 1 x Noise Source
- 1 x Feedback
- 1 x Mixer
- 2 x Mouth Filter
- 2 x Fuzz Distortion
- 2 x Overdrive
- 2 x Parametric EQ
- 2 x Crusher
- 1 x Analog Modeled Filter
- 1 x Dual Analog Modeled Filter
- 1 x VCA
- 5 x Wavetable LFO
- 5 x ADSR Envelope
- 5 x Step Sequencer
- 3 x Analog Phaser
- 3 x Reverb
- 3 x Double Echo
- 3 x Ping Pong Echo
- 3 x Chorus
- 3 x Panner
- 3 x Analog Modeled Bucket Delay
- 3 x Analog Modeled Tube Distortion
- Sound Sources – Analog Oscillator, Wavetable Oscillator, VPS Oscillator, Noise, Feedback
- Dedicated Modulators – ADSR Envelope, LFO, Sequencer, Arpeggiator
- Sound Modifiers – Mixer, Mouth Filter, Fuzz Distortion, Overdrive, Parametric EQ, Shelving EQ, Phaser Filter, Crusher, Ring Modulator, Filter, Dual Filter, VCA
- Master Effects – Phaser, Reverb, Echo, Double Echo, Ping Pong Echo, Chorus, Panner, Bucket Delay, Tube Distortion
- Native Instruments NKS Support for Machine and Komplete Kontrol, with individually mapped presets for easy control of the most musically interesting parameters
- Midi Note arpeggiator with swing and DAW timing sync
- Randomize preset
- 32 Voice polyphony
- Visual Midi learn with advanced range adjustment
- 110 wavetable oscillator shapes included with the ability to import your own wavetables using an app
- Ships with 300+ patches; more patch packs are available in our store
- Drag and drop modulation system
- OSC control on Mac OS
- True analog modeled oscillators, filters and effects
- 16 wavetable LFO shapes
- 16 step sequencer, with note output functionality
Below are some of the artists and labels we are currently working with or who use Circle2 in their music:
- Hudson Mohawke
- Richard Devine
- Mark Pritchard
- Mike Huckaby
- Jimmy Edgar
- Monty Luke
- David Guetta
- Sandy Vee
- John Tejada
- Audio Unit (AU)
- NKS Support for NI Maschine and Komplete Control
- OS X 10.9 and higher
- Intel® Core™ Duo 1.66 GHz, 768 MB RAM
- Windows 8 and higher
- Pentium/Athlon XP 1.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM
- Tested in Pro Tools 11, 12 and 2018; Ableton Live 9 and 10; Logic Pro X; FL Studio 20; Propellerhead Reason 9 and 10; Studio One; Native Instruments Machine and Komplete Kontrol
- We recommend running Circle² on a modern Intel multicore PC or Mac along with a profess