ZEBRA – Oscillators & Envelopes Masterclass
“Zebra – Oscillators & Envelopes” takes the guesswork out of producing with Zebra, putting you in total control of one of the world’s most powerful and flexible synths.
Whether you’re starting at zero; need a refresher on shaping sounds with envelopes; or want to go deeper into Zebra’s potentially daunting array of oscillator panels and effects, this intensive video masterclass you will show you exactly how Zebra’s oscillators and envelopes work so that you can design those epic sounds you’ve been chasing.
The course includes 15 videos totaling over 180 minutes of in-depth instruction – starting with the basics you’ll finish with an advanced, practical understanding of two modules that form the backbone of U-he Zebra.
Oscillators & Envelopes – the backbone of U-he Zebra
The Mighty Oscillators – The heart of U-HE ZEBRA
The first half of this 3 hour course is all about Zebra’s Oscillators. You’re going to learn how they work and how to use them when designing your own sounds. Here’s what you will learn:
- 1.1 The Basics, I explain the Zebra routings and the main interface for people who have never worked with zebra – basic signal flow etc.
- 1.2 The oscillators, I explain all the basics of the oscillators, feedback, sync, wave invert, phasing, osc restart, etc.
- 1.3 OSC FX, a detailed explanation about Oscillator effects
- 1.4 OSC FX in action, I give examples of how to use the effects and build some sounds
- 1.5 Geomorph & Spectromorph, I explain the first two waveform edit windows and how to use them
- 1.6 Geoblend & Spectroblend, the other two wave window editors explained, and I explain harmonics and how to work with that
- 1.7 Oscillator Key-scaling, I explain what key-scaling is and how you can use this creatively
- 1.8 Stacking Oscillators, I show how to combine oscillators and how to build chords and how to route multiple oscillators
Advanced Envelopes – Tame your sounds in U-HE ZEBRA
The second half of this video course is all about shaping your sounds.
Whilst the Oscillators are where the sounds are generated to really start designing sounds you need to tame that sound and that’s done with envelopes.
Here’s what you are going to learn!
- 1.9 Envelope basics, I explain the basic attack, decay and all that stuff
- 1.10 Envelopes advance, I explain envelope tempo sync, making a delayed envelope etc.
- 1.11 Envelope looping, an explanation of how to loop envelopes and making different envelope curves/slopes for the decay and the attack etc.
- 1.12 Envelope key-scaling, everything about the key-scaling and velocity scaling on different stages of the envelope (for example making the attack shorter for higher velocities etc.
- 1.13-1.15 Real world examples of making sounds with the stuff that we’ve learned
About your tutor, Jor
Legend has it that he drums faster than the wings of a hummingbird and that he has become so obsessed with music theory he can only speak in beats.
You might know him as the voice behind ADSR’s Zebra tutorials, or by his stage name, Jorgalad. We know, that when it comes to making sounds with Zebra, Jor really knows his stuff. His extensive knowledge comes from one magical source, years of practice, practice and more practice.
A Quick Message From Jor
I hope this course will expand your knowledge and answer some of the questions you have about sound design with Zebra and that you get inspired by the ideas I’m throwing out there!
The first 12 videos in this course explain all the things you need to know about Zebra’s oscillators and envelopes, while the last 3 videos provide practical examples. In my opinion, these videos are the most important and you should definitely check them out.
The most important advice I can give you is to have fun and practice a lot!
p.s. This course is going to be the first of a 3-part series that I’m making in collaboration with ADSR. In the other two we’ll go on to talk about all the additional modules as well as modulation in Zebra.