Music Theory For EDM Producers
Learn how to build killer chords, progressions, melodies, rhythms, bass lines & arrangements in ANY genre of electronic dance music, and stand out from the rest!
The knowledge in this course is the same that pretty much every world-class producer has used to write the greatest dance tracks ever written. Once you understand these fundamentals, this knowledge can be used quickly and easily, without having any previous experience of music theory or playing a musical instrument.
The Ultimate Track-Writing “Masterplan.”
The course walks you through the 4 key areas of EDM music theory (tailored specifically for dance music production of all genres), and breaks down the exact process in step-by-step guides, giving you the ultimate track-writing “masterplan”. All of the boring, unnecessary music theory fluff has been removed, focussing ONLY on what you need to know to make world-class electronic dance music.
But this isn’t just watching videos; the course guides you through REAL EXERCISES so you can truly internalise and understand the material, enabling you to get the most of it time and time again in every track you make!
(Don’t worry, these techniques are easy to understand and quick to implement, so you can get started putting them into action almost immediately.)
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- How to program killer drums in ANY genre of electronic dance music (Future bass, Progressive House, Trance, Drum ’n’ Bass, Big Room EDM, etc.).
- The essential elements of every hit dance track.
- The “secret” key of dance music.
- How to create ANY chord from scratch.
- How to write your own epic chord progressions, FOR ANY GENRE, AND IN ANY KEY.
- How to write your own melodies and bass lines from scratch, and have them work perfectly with your chords.
- How to take your 4 or 8 bar loop to a full arrangement (THAT’S PROVEN TO IGNITE THE DANCEFLOOR) in record time.
- Plus much more!!
ABOUT YOUR TUTOR
Will Darling has been producing electronic dance music and DJing for over 20 years, and has had tracks supported by Paul Oakenfold, Tommy Trash, Lost Frequencies and many other A-list producers. He has also ghost-produced tracks that have hit the tops of the charts in Beatport, Juno and Trackitdown, and now shares his knowledge over the internet and at live events.
- 3.5 hours of video instruction broken down into 5 core modules each focused on different essential areas of Music Theory as they relate to Electronic music.
- Professional instruction from an experienced tutor and working electronic musician
- Watch, Listen and Learn – our easy to follow video instruction shows you exactly how to use the software
- Learn at your own pace, watch as many times as you need to learn the lessons
- 00-01 Welcome
- 00-02 Music Theory and the Fundamentals of Dance Music
- 01b EDMtips-Cheat-Sheets
- 02b Music Theory and the Fundamentals of Dance Music
- 02c Genre Examples
- 01-01 The Elements of Music
- 01-02 The Building Blocks of EDM
- 01-03 Rhythm (The Basics)
- 01-04 Advanced Rhythm
- 01-05 Frequency (The Basics)
- 01-06 Frequency and Pitch
- 01-07 The Basic Notes
- 01-08 Keys and Scales Introduction
- 01-09 Intervals
- 01-10 Major Scales
- 01-11 Minor Scales
- 01-12 EXERCISE 1
- 01-13 Exercise 1 Walkthrough Example
- 03b Rhythm (The Basics)
- 08b Using Keys in Your DAW – EDMtips.com
- 10b The Major Scales
- 11b The Minor Scales
- 12b House-Drum-Loop-EDMtips.com
- 02-01 Drums – The Fundamentals
- 02-02 Drums – The Core Drum Sounds
- 02-03 Programming Drums into your DAW
- 02-04 Drum Fills – Signaling a change
- 02-05 Using Swing
- 02-06 Drum Basics – Trance
- 02-07 Drum Basics – EDM or Big Room
- 02-08 Drum Basics – Future Bass
- 02-09 EXERCISE 2
- 02-10 Exercise 2 Walkthrough Example
- 05b Using Swing
- 03-01 Melody Harmony Chords – The Basics
- 03-02 Different Types of Melody
- 03-03 Writing a Melody
- 03-04 Creating a Harmony
- 03-05 Writing a Bass Line
- 03-06 How to Make Chords
- 03-07 Roman Numerals
- 03-08 Chord Progressions
- 03-09 The Circle of Fifths
- 03-10 Chord Inversions
- 03-11 Advanced Chords
- 03-12 EXERCISE 3
- 03-13 Exercise 3 Walkthrough Example
- 06b Useful-Chords
- 06c How to Make Chords
- 07b Chords in all major keys
- 07c Chords in all minor keys
- 08b Chord Progressions Cheat Sheet
- 09b The Circle of Fifths
- 11b Ideas for when to use different the types of chord
- 04-01 Arrangement – Quick Overview
- 04-02 Arrangement – Different Sections
- 04-03 Tension & Release
- 04-04 Popular Track Arrangements
- 04-05 EXERCISE 4
- 04-06 Exercise 4 Walkthrough Example
- 04b Popular Track Arrangements
- 05-01 Next Steps