Mixing Hip Hop by Matthew Weiss
Levels, compression, EQ and everything in between, mix engineer Matthew Weiss shows you how to get the best possible sound out of your mixes and productions.
Matthew has a list of production credits that will make your jaw drop. In this course series he openly shares his techniques, understandings and learned approaches for mixing Hip Hop like a pro.
Take your rap vocal mixes and hip-hop beats to the next level
Mixing Hip Hop is a comprehensive course totaling over 5 hours of expert tuition.
The course is broken down into 3 distinct modules
- Mixing Rap Vocals
- Mixing Rap Vocals 2
- Mixing Hip-Hop Beats
After watching this course you’ll know how to
- Mix great sounding rap vocals that cut through a mix?
- Make your beats hit harder and stand out?
- Use EQ to clean and enhance vocals and instruments?
- Use compression to manipulate shape, tone and dynamics?
- Create interesting ambience with reverb, delay and more?
- Use automation to add energy and emotion to a mix?
ABOUT YOUR TUTOR
Matthew Weiss is a mixing and recording engineer from Philadelphia.
He’s mixed a lot of records, including tracks for Snoop, Gorilla Zoe, J-Son, Dizzee Rascal, Arrested Development, Gift of Gab, 9th Wonder, Sonny Digital, !llmind and more.
Learn the techniques he’s developed over the years and elevate the quality of all your mixes and productions no matter what circumstances or gear you’re working with.
” Not the type of guy to really use my page to endorse things but proaudiofiles “Mixing Hip-Hop” tutorials have helped incredibly.
CHECK IT OUT!
Can’t afford a professional acoustically-treated studio? Need to turn a closet vocal into ear candy? We’ll show you how to get the best results out of any situation.
Do your vocals sound flat and buried? Learn to evaluate, balance and enhance with EQ, compression and time-based effects so your vocals sound great and cut through the mix.
Not sure which frequencies to boost or cut? Learn how to clean up a vocal by eliminating buildup, removing noise, and identifying the most valuable harmonic content to enhance with equalization.
Does compression, limiting and multiband dynamics confuse you? We’ll teach you how it all works and show you processing techniques particularly effective for mixing hip-hop.
Static mixes are boring. We’ll show you automation tricks you can use to bring life and excitement to the special moments hiding in your song.
Construct mind-bending ambiences. Learn how to use reverb, delay, chorus, distortion, exciters and various other effects to make your mixes sound larger than life.
MODULE 1: Mixing Rap Vocals
- Cleaning up a rap vocal
- Controlling tone and dynamics
- Cleaning and enhancing vocals with EQ
- Constructing ambience with reverb & delay
- Complete mix walkthrough start to finish
- Bonus: Vocal cleanup EQ exercise
- Bonus: Tips for producing better vocals
MODULE 2: Mixing Rap Vocals 2
- Mix walkthrough: Murs
- Mix walkthrough: Snoop Dogg
- Mix walkthrough: Juicy J
- Multiband dynamics workshop
- Parallel processing with exciters
- Mixing vocal doubles and ad-libs
- Tips for mixing chorus vocals
- Mixing Arrested Development
MODULE 3: Mixing Hip-Hop Beats
- Setting instrument levels
- Automation tips and tricks
- Mixing low end bass
- Mixing snare drums
- Mixing strings and horns
- Home mastering tips
- Mixing peripheral elements
- Bonus: Mixing 808s