Audacity: Producing & Recording with Powerful Free Software
In this comprehensive class we will learn the ins and outs of the powerful, open-source, and FREE software Audacity. Audacity allows for recording, editing, mastering, and mixing, and is a versatile tool for any aspiring or professional producer looking for an inexpensive way to produce high-quality tracks.
Learn how to produce, record, edit, arrange, and master professional quality audio using the free program Audacity
- Watch, Listen and Learn – our easy to follow video instruction helps break down the essentials of music theory
- Focus on the strengths of the program and look at its editing features, tools, and sample-level manipulation options. (Powerful!)
- Use built-in techniques to generate new sounds through manipulation and synthesis
- Explore Audacity’s built in analysis tools for an overview of Mastering techniques.
- 2+ hours of hands on educational content
- 35 individual video tutorials
- Learn at your own pace, watch as many times as you need to learn the lessons
IS THIS COURSE FOR ME?
- This course is designed for people looking for a complete knowledge of the Audacity software.
- No audio experience is required
- Students looking for to use Audacity as their main workstation for production should take this course.
The Audacity software is required to take this course. Audacity is free, and available for Mac, PC, or Linux. You can find out more about it here https://www.audacityteam.org/download/
COURSE OVERVIEW MODS 1-5
Module 1: What is Audacity?
- Welcome & Overview
- Background: Who Owns Audacity?
- What Can You Do with Audacity?
- Setup: Getting Configured Correctly
- Some Audio Stuff to Know
Module 2: Working with Audacity: Getting Started
- Importing Audio
- Generating Audio
- Recording Audio
- Basic Audio Controls
- Audio Track Options
Module 3: Editing Audio in Audacity
- Cut/Copy/Paste – Just Like Text!
- Adding a Second Track
- The Time Shift Tool
- Automation: The Envelope Tool
- The Draw Tool: Sample-level Editing!
Module 4: Effects
- The Effects Menu
- Changing the Pitch
- Changing the Speed
- Changing the Tempo
- Fade In & Fade Out
Module 5: Analysis Tools
- Plot Spectrum
- Find Clipping
- Silence Finder
- Beat Finder
COURSE OVERVIEW MODS 6-7 + BONUS CONTENT
Module 6: Bounce/Export Settings & Options
- AUP Files
- AIFF/WAV Settings
- Mp3 Files: The Weird Thing About Making Mp3s
Module 7: Final Thoughts
- For Your Further Consideration…
- Thanks & Bye!
- Bonus: Noise Removal Techniques in Audacity
- Bonus: A Comparison of Two Microphones
- Bonus: Avoiding Feedback!
ABOUT YOUR TUTOR
J. Anthony Allen teaches at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, MN., and is an Ableton Live Certified Trainer. He is a co-founder and owner of Slam Academy, a multimedia educational space in downtown Minneapolis.
J. Anthony Allen is a versatile creator whose diverse project experience ranges from works written for the Minnesota Orchestra to pieces developed for film, TV, and radio. When he’s not working as a solo artist, Allen is a serial collaborator. His primary collaborative vehicle is the group Ballet Mech, for which Allen is one of three producers.