Advanced Mixing with Matthew Weiss
Professional mix engineer Matthew Weiss teaches you his most advanced tips, tricks and techniques for getting the best mix out of any situation.
Advanced Mixing is a 3-hour intensive course that will help you perfect the way you mix. This course goes beyond just the theory to offer you practical examples and proven techniques that you can start applying to your own productions right away.
Advanced tips, tricks and techniques for getting a great mix.
Advanced Mixing is an intensive course totalling over 3 hours of expert tuition. The course is broken down into 5 distinct modules
- Mixing Vocals
- Mixing Guitar
- Mixing Bass
- Mixing Drums
- EQ, Compression and FX
After watching this course you’ll learn how to
- Mix lead vocals to sit perfectly in the pocket of your song
- Use compression to manipulate shape, tone and dynamics
- Use EQ to fix problematic frequencies and enhance a mix
- Use reverb and delay to construct interesting ambience
- Manipulate and fix various mid-side recording situations
- Emphasise the feel of a record through your mix decisions
- Negotiate the perfect relationship between a DI and a bass amp
- Use drum bussing techniques for added convenience and utility
- Adjust phase relationships to get a great drum sound
- Increase tension and adjust timbre using formant shifting
- Use audio to MIDI to emphasise sections and tweak tonality
- Effectively edit a performance before any processing
- Remove tricky and stubborn vocal resonances in the mix
- Create heavy visceral sub bass with MIDI mapping
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
Mixing Bass – Advanced compression and EQ techniques for mixing bass including manipulating the stereo field, tightening up the overall sound and creative processing tricks for DI Bass.
Mid-Side Mixing – Advanced techniques for manipulating mid-side recordings including how to fix a recording that leans too much to one side.
Mixing Drums – Tips and techniques for organising tracks, phase alignment, sample augmentation, EQ, compression and more so you can get an awesome sounding drum mix for any song.
Mixing Guitars – Mix different types of guitars and dobros, tricks for using compression to tweak tone and timbre, and more.
Mixing Vocals – Techniques for editing a lead vocal, dealing with nasty unwanted resonances, and creating an effective ambience with time-based effects.
Bringing a Mix Together – Conceptualise and punctuate the vibe of a record including using filters and distortion on bass, emphasising specific harmonics for guitar, stereo buss processing and so much more.
Compression – Manipulate shape, tone and dynamics with various compression techniques as well as tips for navigating stereo buss processing.
Equalisation – Essential and obscure EQ techniques demonstrated on various instruments including guitar, dobro, bass, drums vocals and more.
Effects – Use delay and reverb to create an awesome front-to-back feel for a vocal plus tons of other creative techniques like turning a DI bass into a synth.
Stereo Buss Processing – Make the entire mix gel together with mix buss processing, plus what to watch out for and keep in mind while doing it.
ABOUT YOUR TUTOR
Matthew Weiss is a mixing and recording engineer from Philadelphia.
He’s mixed a lot of records, including tracks for Snoop, Gorilla Zoe, J-Son, Dizzee Rascal, Arrested Development, Gift of Gab, 9th Wonder, Sonny Digital, !llmind and more.
Learn the techniques he’s developed over the years and elevate the quality of all your mixes and productions no matter what circumstances or gear you’re working with.