This Eurorack Vocoder Module Sounds Menacing
In this video from Synthrotek, we catch a demo a ROBOTO, a Eurorack module that supplies classic vocoder effects but throws in its own special twist of bit crushing and lo-fi effects as well. The most striking feature to us is that each parameter is CV compatible.
Here are some features provided in the video’s description:
- Can be in either Robot mode or Pitch mode, but not both. Handy LEDs tell you which mode you’re in. The ROBOT button toggles between the two.
- Vibrato toggles on and off. Works in either Robot mode or Pitch mode.
- Robot and Vibrato CV inputs activate those modes (and deactivates in the case of vibrato) upon receiving a gate pulse. Gate pulses in these inputs are just like pushing their corresponding buttons. Expected transition is from 0V to +5V (and back to 0V), but it will handle any voltage within the power supply range without damaging the module.
- Rate pot/input control the clock speed in the chip. A CV input of 0-5V will mimic the range of the pot, but voltages outside of this range will push the rate setting further.
- The CV input is mixed with the voltage coming from the pot.
- The pitch pot is used to pitch the audio up or down when in pitch mode. It has 7 zones/pitches; 12:00 is normal pitch, and there are 3 steps up and 3 steps down from there.
The way it manipulates incoming audio is quite spectacular, and a tad bit creepy (in the coolest way possible). ROBOTO is available for purchase at $149.99.